Building an Award-Winning Safety Program
In 2012, risk and safety executives with regional independent living provider Erickson Living faced a dilemma. They lacked the capability to effectively manage incidents, such as lifting strains, slips and falls and cuts/punctures that turned into claims. It was virtually impossible to track incident data to identify trends, much less tie incident data to claims data. With the inability to turn data into useful information in an effort to give guidance to department heads, the company suffered a high incident rate and high claims cost. More importantly, they needed to develop a culture of safety which would enable sustainable results once initiatives were implemented.
In a period of three years, Erickson, with the use of an effective incident-trending system, improved analytics and a focus on culture, as well as reduced claim frequency by 15 percent, earning a Corporate Health Achievement Award from the American College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine.
In this one-hour presentation, executives with Erickson Living and their risk management analytics partners at Riskonnect will discuss:
- Gaining mastery in identifying injury trends and looking at prevention strategies.
- Providing focused attention on departments and locations that were experiencing higher than average claims.
- Reducing the costs associated with lifting strains by more than 80 percent.
- Consolidating best practices and communicating them to department heads.
- Instilling culture change management that focused on creating a safe environment and fostering personal accountability for safe acts.