Not a CPCU? That Doesn’t Mean You Can’t Join and Benefit From a CPCU Society Membership
The CPCU Society recently expanded its membership criteria for the first time in its long history.
The society historically counted CPCUs, candidates, and retired CPCUs as its members. But now any insurance and risk management professional, student, or retiree may join and enjoy the benefits of full membership.
“The CPCU Society has been amplifying the trajectory of risk management and insurance professionals across the globe for eight decades,” said Spenser Villwock, executive director, CPCU Society.
“Now, we are building off our tremendous strengths to welcome all RMI students and professionals worldwide to further enrich their careers through the value of membership found only at the CPCU Society.”
New Pathways to CPCU Society Membership
In addition to the traditional path to membership — earning your CPCU designation — there are now four other ways to become a CPCU Society member.
1) Pathways Member: Risk management and insurance professionals who have not earned the CPCU designation may join the CPCU Society as Pathways members. This includes candidates studying for CPCU exams.
One of the first to take advantage of the Pathways membership category was London-based Clive O’Connell, partner, head of insurance and reinsurance at McCarthy Denning and long-time CPCU Society Europe chapter, NY chapter, and International Interest Group supporter.
“I was delighted to hear of the membership expansion which allows me to participate fully (and pay my dues) and to be included in an organization that is the most vibrant of any I have come across in my almost 40 years in the industry,” O’Connell said.
“I made sure that I enrolled before the USA woke up on the day that membership opened. I am looking forward to becoming more involved and to meeting and discussing [topics] of mutual interest with the lively and diverse group of individuals that make up the membership of the CPCU around the world.”
2) Student Member: Full time undergraduate students who are interested in a RMI career may join using the student category.
3) Academic Member: The academic category is designed for full-time faculty members of a college or university’s risk management and insurance program.
4) Post-Career Member: Retired RMI professionals no longer working in the industry — but who want to stay involved — may join as post-career members.
Why Expand CPCU Society Membership?
The CPCU Society expansion is a way to grow membership in an inclusive, global way.
The insurance and risk management industry is dynamic, changing to meet new needs and trends around the world. The CPCU Society is expanding in the same way — building on history and growing into the future.
Traci Adedeji, CPCU, CSPO, ARM, API, AIDA, TRIP, Rhode Island chapter president worked on the membership expansion with other volunteer leaders. Adedeji noted the importance of expanding the diversity, equity, and inclusion of the CPCU Society by inviting new voices to join:
“As the world refines its focus on diversity, equity and inclusion, it makes perfect sense that the Society would expand its membership to make room for diverse voices, so that we create a more inclusive community of industry professionals,” she said.
“I recognized the opportunity we have to add value for all risk management & insurance professionals, and by extension, the industry as a whole. Inviting diverse thought to the table ensures that we continue to offer world-class educational and leadership opportunities. It also allows industry professionals to get a bird’s-eye-view into what it means to be a CPCU.”
The expansion plan also supports the CPCU Society’s Strategic Plan, which includes international growth opportunities. Brett Clausen, CPCU, CIC, MBB, MSIM, AIC, AIS, API, ARC, ARe, AU, 2022 leadership council chair & president-elect for the Society detailed the extensive efforts to research membership growth opportunities.
Calling the membership expansion a “game-changer” Clausen noted: “Membership expansion complements our Strategic Plan for 2022-2024 and provides unlimited opportunity to strengthen our commitment to the premier community of risk management and insurance thought leaders and be recognized as the vibrant and inclusive global community that welcomes and empowers all individuals, ideas, and voices.”
Benefits of CPCU Society Membership
When you become a member of the premier risk management and insurance group, you’ll have access to member benefits:
1) Webinars: Free webinars are available each month on a wide range of topics, like emerging issues, leadership development, and coverage deep dives. CPCU Society members can also expand their skills by moderating or presenting a webinar.
2) Insights: The CPCU Society prints its magazine quarterly featuring trending topics and compelling articles. Members are encouraged to submit their articles for consideration.
3) CPCU Society Career Center Find a job or list an opening and find candidates through the Career Center. CPCU Society members can enroll in email alerts for job openings.
4) INteract community, mentoring, and volunteer opportunities: INteract is the CPCU Society’s digital community where you can explore volunteer opportunities and connect with other members. The CPCU Society has a mentorship program open to all members and many volunteer leadership opportunities.
5) On-demand knowledge center: Members can access past webinars at any time in the on-demand knowledge center. CE credits are automatically captured when you watch a webinar or read articles.
6) Member deals: Enjoy group discounts on travel, hotels, movies, and more.
7) Special interest groups.The CPCU Society has eight special interest groups to appeal to members, and you can join as many interest groups as you’d like.
The groups include Agent and Broker; Claims; International; Legal, Compliance, Regulatory, Education and Witnesses; Professional Growth and Development; Reinsurance and Excess Surplus Lines; Risk Management and Loss Control; and Underwriting. There is also an Ethics Committee, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, and IT Committee members can join.
8) Event and course discounts: CPCU Society members receive discounts for events like In2Risk and the Leadership Summit and discounts on educational courses.
9) Free quarterly course: The Institutes offers a quarterly digital course free to CPCU Society members. Past courses have included an introduction to international insurance, getting started as a CSR, and cyber risk management strategies.
10) Scholarships for students: The CPCU Society has scholarships available to risk management and insurance students and offers financial help with internships.
Villwock concluded: “Investing into membership within the CPCU Society is investing into your future.” &