Advisors Gear Up For Latest Program
The 23rd annual National Workers’ Compensation and Disability Conference® & Expo takes place Nov. 19-21 at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. The conference is produced by LRP Publications, the publisher of Risk & Insurance®.
Marianne Cloeren, M.D.
Medical director, Managed Care Advisors Inc.; Chair, American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine’s Council on Occupational and Environmental Medicine Practice; ACOEM board of directors
For Managed Care Advisors Inc., Cloeren provides case management services for various federal agencies as well as occupational health and disability consulting services. She has managed employee health in the Veterans Administration system, served as medical director for several companies, and spent several years as an occupational medicine physician for the Army’s Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine, where her program focus was workers’ comp case management.
Board certified in occupational medicine and internal medicine, Cloeren is serving in her second term on the ACOEM board of directors and is a fellow in the organization.
Cloeren sees challenges in trying to manage medical costs as a major, continuing theme for workers’ comp practitioners. “Controlling costs via utilization review is a bit like a game of whack-a-mole, as opportunistic innovators find new ways to make a lot of money without improving outcomes or delivering any real value, and payers scramble to identify and try to control these abuses,” she said. “When we find a way to recognize and reward physicians who are providing good care and getting good outcomes, we should see a movement in the right direction.”
Director, regulatory and outcome initiatives, Work Loss Data Institute LLC
A licensed adjuster with more than 20 years of hands-on experience, Eichler is a nationally recognized expert on medical treatment guidelines and associated delivery systems with a focus on maximizing functional outcomes. He also has a specialization on disability management and return-to-work initiatives.
Last year, Eichler joined the Work Loss Data Institute, an independent medical database development company. Eichler works directly with regulators, legislators, stakeholders, and medical providers on all aspects of guidelines selection, adoption, rules/regulations/laws, implementation, training and application in the claims, approval and utilization processes, as well as disability management/return-to-work initiatives.
Eichler is also an appointed member of the International Association for Industrial Accident Boards and Commission’s Advisory Council, where he serves as vice chair of the medical issues and the disability management/return-to-work committees.
Senior vice president and manager workers’ compensation claims and managed care, Liberty Mutual
Having spent more than three decades at one of the nation’s largest workers’ comp insurers, McCarthy now provides oversight for all key financial, operational, regulatory, and personnel-related metrics. She is also involved in the development, implementation, and oversight of customer specific outcome and service delivery programs.
McCarthy’s experience includes claims and managed care field experience in multiple jurisdictions, products and services. She is responsible for field operations of 1,400 full-time employees and oversees more than 150,000 open losses, as well as the management of $15 billion in incurred losses. She also has multiyear experience in personnel management and training development.
“Over prescribing of opioids continues to be a major concern,” McCarthy said. Also, “supporting the use of, and explaining the purpose of evidence based medical guidelines specific to the treatment of work related injuries and utilization review guidelines.”
The 2014 National Workers’ Compensation and Disability Conference® & Expo board of advisors includes:
- Mark Walls, senior vice president, workers’ compensation market research leader, Marsh USA Inc.; founder, WorkComp Analysis Group on LinkedIn
- Denise Gillen-Algire, WC/IDM consultant
- Kathryn Caverly, senior director of product planning, LexisNexis
- Marianne Cloeren, M.D., medical director, Managed Care Advisors Inc.; chair, American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine’s Council on Occupational and Environmental Medicine Practice; ACOEM board of directors
- Jill Dulich, senior director, Marriott claims services
- Kenneth Eichler, director, regulatory and outcome initiatives, Work Loss Data Institute
- John T. Leonard, president and CEO, MEMIC
- Maureen McCarthy, senior vice president and manager, WC claims and managed care, Liberty Mutual
- Joseph Paduda, principal, Health Strategy Associates; author and blogger, ManagedCareMatters
- Rebecca Shafer, president, Amaxx Risk Solutions Inc.
- Mark Sidney, vice president of claims, Midwest Employers Casualty Company (A W.R. Berkley Company)
- Patrick J. Walsh, vice president and chief claims officer, corporate claims, Accident Fund Holdings Inc.
- William Wainscott, manager, workers’ compensation and occupational health, International Paper
- Pamela R. Webster, senior claims manager, Advance Auto Parts